Tuesday, February 1

Toasted Guajillo & Pork Posole


It's freezing outside, literally. I know what you're thinking, "Michelle, can you make me some soup so I warm my family with the deliciousness?" Yes, I will friend.

I know, I make a lot of soup. It's one of my favorite things to make. I've often had dreams of meeting the Soup Peddler and discussing our recipes over soup. 

Since it's super cold tonight, I wanted to make something super spicy. This particular recipe is from the November 2010 Cooking Light edition, I've made it before and really, this is where it's at. As always, I made a few adjustments and included them below.

3 dried guajillo chiles
1 1/2 pounds pork loin, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. canola oil

4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
Dash of ground coriander
Dash of ground chipotle chili pepper  
1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
1/4 tsp. Chinese 5 spice (I know, we're cooking Mexican, but you know how I do)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion, chopped into large squares

3 small chipotle chiles in adobo sauce + 1 Tbsp. of adobo sauce from the can
1 29-ounce can hominy, rinsed and drained


Preheat oven to 400°. Wash chiles and put them a baking sheet, drizzled with a little olive oil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes or until dark. Cool; remove stems and seeds and slice or tear into strips. 
 

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned. 


Remove pork from pan. Now add the onions, garlic and hominy. Saute for about 5 minutes to soften a bit. Next add all the seasonings: cumin, oregano, Chinese 5 spice, coriander and chipotle chili powder. Stir and salt and pepper to taste. Let the spices toast together with the veggies for about 3 minutes, then add guajillo chiles, diced chipotle peppers and tablespoon of adobo sauce. 


Add broth, water and browned pork.  Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about an hour, or until pork is tender. Serve with diced cilantro leaves, and sliced radishes. Oh, and this would be great with some sliced avocado on top.

Listening To: Cee Lo Green with Bruno Mars, F*ck You (If you're underage, don't watch this video. Unless your parents are cool with you cussing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment