Saturday, February 12

SFC Farmer's Market - Sunset Valley


I'm back! I've been sick as a dog since Tuesday afternoon, unable to taste or smell, wondering how life could be so cruel. If you're a foodie, this is quite possibly one of the worst things that could happen to you. I met a girl in Brooklyn who lost her sense of taste and smell, due to a head injury. Could you imagine? Interestingly, she worked for a restaurant group. 

Anyhoo, Jason woke me up this morning and it was sunny and beautiful and told me I would feel better if I went to the farmer's market. He was right. I haven't been out of my house since I went to the doctor on Wednesday, and besides, it's been entirely too cold to be outside. So I showered, exfoliated and with clean hair and a (finally) clear head, off to the Farmer's Market I went. 

What a seriously gorgeous morning. I decided to obtain my seasonal bounty at Sunset Valley's Farmer's Market today. One of these days I'll actually make it out to the downtown location. (It just seems so far, and parking, eh.) Sunset Valley feels like my local farmer's market it's the closest to us Oak Hillers (I say Oak Hill Billies, but that could be offensive to some), it's the one I frequent the most. I recognize vendors there, and they always have a great selection. 

So, my typical plan of attack at the farmer's market is to circle once, observe what's in season, make mental notes of the prices, determine which booths have the juiciest, brightest and most diverse selection, then buy. However, when I get there at 10:30am, 11am-ish, I fear that everything will be gone, so I start purchasing haphazardly. Don't do this. There are gorgeous hydroponic tomatoes in the back, and well as some amazing fresh baked bread - cheaper than the stands in the front! Remember that next time. 

So, my bounty (from top to bottom):
Richardson Farm Beef Short Ribs
Johnson's Backyard Garden Carrots, Kohlrabi (that's the purple bulbs), Salad Turnips, Beets and some GORGEOUS (but strangely alien looking) Romanesco Cauliflower 
Tomatoes from various vendors
Kitchen Pride Mushrooms Oyster Mushrooms
Tierra Madre Eggs
Texas French Bread Rosemary Focaccia Loaf
Serious Sourdough Bakery Gluten Free Dijon Dill Mini Loaf
Kala's Kuisine Hot & Spicy Curry Sauce
Pate Letelier Pecan and Mushroom Pate

I have to give a special shout out to The Letelier Food Company for gifting me a container of  their Pecan and Mushroom Pate. I saw the sign, "Handmade Pates and Preserves" across the distance, and I was drawn. And then I thought, I want to be a Patelier. Like a Sommelier or a Fromagier. I could be an expert on Pate...Is there a certification for this?  Needless to say, I can get down on some pate. Give me some Cognac Duck Liver Pate or Mousse, and I'm in heaven. I know, it's not the healthiest stuff, but it's sooooo good. Decadent. I feel that same way about hot, fresh flour tortillas. So, I saw they had a Chicken Liver Pate, and I really wanted to purchase it, but you remember Jason doesn't like Chicken 
(they thought it was weird too) and all they had left was this Pecan and Mushroom pate, made with Tahini and apricots. Sounded a little strange, right? I was hesitant and they didn't have any testers, so they gave me a container. For free! Don't get me wrong, I'm totally into strange foods, but I didn't think this would impart the velvety, complex richness that you would get from a meat pate. Man, was I wrong. This was the first thing I tasted when I got home, with a little piece of the gluten-free dijon dill loaf, and oh momma. Is this stuff healthy? I tried it again with a plain cracker, and then again on a spoon, to let the pate speak for itself. Amazing. How did they capture that velvety richness without the meat? It will remain a delicious mystery. Mad props, Pate Letelier. 

Ok, so, besides the pate, I'm also really excited about the beef short ribs and the oyster mushrooms. And the Romanesco cauliflower. Well, everything, really.

Tip: For fresh breads, sauces and soups I know I won't eat/use within a few days, I freeze it. With bread, I wrap in up in foil, freeze and when you want to eat, pop it in the oven to 350-375 for 15 minutes or so, and it should be good to go. Sauces are a little more particular; a good rule of thumb  - if  it contains dairy - don't freeze. Everything else usually works really well if the sauce/soup is reheated on the stove.

My tentative recipe list: 
  • Oyster Mushroom Risotto
  • Carmelized Carrot and Tomato Soup 
  • Beet and Orange Salad (depending on the weather)
  • Braised Beef Short Ribs with Turnips and Carrots (this has got to be a Sunday dinner kinda meal. My fellow friends that follow my blog: call me if you're free next Sunday. This Sunday we have a dinner rez for a pre-Valentines Dinner, but next Sunday - it's on.)
  • Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower
  • Kohlrabi Stir Fry with Spicy Curry 
And of course, I'll post recipes along the way, so let me know what you think!

Listening To: OutKast, Roses

1 comment:

  1. Yum - that sounds fantastic. I can't help but marvel over your menu for the week. We're lucky if we manage anything more than sandwiches or take out these days. Or scrambled eggs lol. Today I sauteed some green bell peppers in bacon fat and then scrambled eggs and had egg and pepper breakfast tacos with a little mozzarella cheese. They were simple and delish. Maybe tomorrow I will clean the pan ;)

    ReplyDelete