Sunday, January 9

Farmers Market Bounty



Living in Southwest Austin, I am fortunate to have several local farmers markets from which to choose. I regularly buy from the SFC Farmers Market in Sunset Valley and Barton Creek Farmer's Market, both open from 9am - 1pm every Saturday, rain or shine. 

For me, the farmers market is a perfect place to spend a Saturday morning. First with breakfast or coffee while listening to a set from a local singer/songwriter, then visiting all the booths to fill my bag with treasures that were grown and harvested by the very people you meet. I truly enjoy this connection, and I take advantage of every opportunity to ask for recipe recommendations for vegetables I've never prepared, or, if I am purchasing a pre-made food such as baked bread, dip, salsa or spice mixes, I ask how they made it and what they put into it. I think you'll find that most vendors at the farmer's market love discussing this stuff.

Since I visited the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market on my past few trips, I decided to venture out to the Barton Creek mall parking lot to see what the farmers had in store. Maybe it's the season,  or maybe everything had already been picked through by the time I arrived at 11:30am (go early to get the good stuff!), but there was only one booth that had a good selection of veggies, so I stocked up on broccoli, carrots, rainbow swiss chard, mustard greens, parsley, green onions and tomatoes. I also picked up a nice selection of prepared foods, including Lamba's Kadhi Pakora (an Indian dish with chickpeas, curry leaves, ginger, garlic and spices), Lamba's Naan, Full Quiver Farms Marinated Feta Cheese (OMG), some fresh baked Rosemary Sourdough Bread, Multi Grain Snickerdoodle Cookies from Phoenix Rising, and some Jalapeno Dip from Blanco Valley Farms. For farm fresh proteins, I also brought home some Italian Sausage from Full Quiver Farms and Boudin from Kocurck Family Charcuterie.


I really wish I could recall the bread booth where I purchased the Rosemary Sourdough, it was just heavenly. Paired with the Full Quivers Farm Marinated Feta and some orange segments, it made a seriously tasty lunch.

Here is my tentative menu planner for the week, recipes to come:
  • Lamba's Kadhi Pakora with Naan, Orange Ginger Glazed Carrots and green salad
  • My version of Portuguese Chorizo & Kale Soup with Mustard Greens and Full Quiver Italian Sausage instead
  • Tomato Basil Soup
  • Boudin, Red Beans & Rice and Sauteed Rainbow Swiss Chard
Yes, lots o' soups and stews. It's going to be a cold week in the ATX. Oh, and unfortunately you won't find any chicken recipes in this blog because Jason doesn't eat chicken. I know! The most non-offensive animal to write off your food list, but it is what it is. And you all know who to blame.

Listening to: Matt and Kim, Daylight

No comments:

Post a Comment